Functions and mandates
Audit Department No. VI is the subordinate department of the State Audit Office of Vietnam (SAV) whose mandate is to assist the Auditor General in performing functions of financial audit, compliance audit and performance audit in managing and using state budget, money and assets of SOEs (SOEs) set up by Prime Minister and the SOEs owned by ministries, ministry-level bodies, governmental agencies and other central bodies (hereinafter referred to as the central ministries and sectors) (except for SOEs in the fields of capital investment, finance, credit, insurance, financial-accounting-auditing consultancy services which are directly managed by the central ministries and sectors).
Duties and powers
1. Tracking and capturing the situations of the operations of SOEs under its audit scope to facilitate audit work; developing its annual audit plan to submit to the Auditor General for approval; implementing the audit plan assigned by the Auditor General;
2. Studying and using internal audit results of agencies and organizations where internal audit system is available, and taking responsibility before the Auditor General for using those results;
3. Approving and taking responsibility before the Auditor General and the law for audit minutes and audit reports prepared by its audit teams before submitting to the Auditor General;
4. Summarizing audit results and results of implementing audit recommendations of annually audited entities under its audit scope to report to the Auditor General;
5. Collaborating with Department of General Affairs and related units to prepare comments on annual state budget estimates, central budget allocations and State budget settlements for the Auditor General to present to the National Assembly;
6. When implementing audit tasks, the Audit Department No. VI has the powers:
a) Requesting audited entities and related organizations and individuals to provide complete and accurate information in a timely manner to facilitate audit work; to request related agencies to coordinate in fulfilling assigned tasks; requesting state agencies, mass unions, social organizations and citizens to support and facilitate task implementation;
b) Requesting audited entities under its audit scope to implement SAV’s audit conclusions and recommendations for errors in financial statements and violations of legal compliance; proposing implementing measures to overcome those shortcomings found by SAV in audited entities’ performance;
c) Checking the implementation of SAV’s audit conclusions and recommendations in audited entities under its audit scope;
d) Advising the Auditor General to request authorized state agencies to ask audited entities to implement audit conclusions and recommendations for errors in financial statements and violations of legal compliance; to propose penalties in accordance to the law for units failing to implement or not implement all SAV’s audit conclusions and recommendations in a timely manner;
đ) Advising the Auditor General to request authorized state agencies to impose penalties on organizations and individuals for law violations that have been clarified in audit activities;
e) Advising the Auditor General to request authorized state agencies to impose penalties on organizations and individuals for obstructing audit activities or providing false information and documents for audit teams, audit groups and auditors;
g) Advising the Auditor General to request experts’ opinions if necessary;
h) Advising the Auditor General to consign or hire auditing enterprises to audit agencies and organizations under its audit scope;
i) Based on audit activities, advising the Auditor General to propose the National Assembly, the National Assembly Standing Committee, the Government, the Prime Minister, the People’s Council, the People’s Committee and other State agencies to amend and supplement mechanisms, policies and laws accordingly.
10. Collaborating with Department of Audit Policy and Quality Control to develop standards, procedures and methodologies on state audit and internal audit in assigned audit fields; proposing the Auditor General to amend, supplement and complete standards, procedures and methodologies on state audit and internal audit applied in its audit activities;
11. Managing auditing records/working papers prepared by the Department; safeguarding confidential documents, accounting data and information on audited entities’ activities in accordance with state laws and regulations set by the Auditor General;
12. Managing officials and staffs in accordance with the regulations of the State and of the Auditor General on the decentralized management; implementing tasks on emulation, reward, discipline, storage, propaganda and scientific research in accordance with the regulations of the State and the Auditor General; reporting its work results to the Auditor General on a monthly, quarterly, yearly or extraordinary basis; managing its assets and equipment;
13. Performing a number of other tasks and powers as assigned or authorized by the Auditor General.
(Quote of Decision No. 600/QD-KTNN dated 2nd August 2006 by the Auditor General)